Saturday, September 13, 2014

To Psych or Not to Psych

That is the question. Psychology 200 is one of my core classes for my degree. When I met with an adviser, she wanted me to take the class this semester; while I wanted to wait. I'd like to add she wasn't my actual adviser, but one that met with me and another student at the same time. I wanted to get acclimated to college life before taking one of the four core classes I need to get an A in for my degree. However since I'm new to this, I listened to her. There weren't many professors left to choose from since my orientation group was one of the last to schedule classes. I picked from the limited choices I had, checked ratemyprofessor.com and went with what I thought was the best choice.

The first day of my psych class comes, the book still isn't ready. And it's not just any book, but one specific for my university. So no go on finding it elsewhere. I arrive at my class 20 minutes early, the professor is writing information on the white board while she speaks to herself. She writes something, then mumbles to herself, erases it, then writes pretty much the same thing again. Is she trying to psych the class out? (Pun intended). Then she stops and stares at the room. Just stares doesn't say anything. She doesn't actually speak until 2 minutes after the class should have begun. At this point, I'm thinking she's quirky and this could be fun/interesting. She takes roll then begins on the syllabus. As she goes over the exam dates, the class notices she scheduled one for Thanksgiving. There is no class on Thanksgiving. She seems to have forgotten this. She tells the class she will change the date, and let us know the new exam date. She acknowledges that the book is supposed to be ready any day now. As well we will need the access code in the book to complete our homework online.

She then begins with that day's lesson by passing out slides she created off the book. The first page of the slides has the cover of the book printed on it. Keep this in mind. The lesson goes off without a hitch, a bit dry; but the professor is very knowledgeable in her subject. I'm overall excited about this class.

The book comes in before the next time the class is scheduled to meet, happy day! I open my brand new book and pull out the activation code. I follow the steps, but alas the code isn't working. I have the right code for the right book, but the website shows the class needing a different book. It appears the professor may have still had the old book in there instead of the new. The cover doesn't match mine or anyone else's. So I email the professor, letting her know the site is requiring an activation code for a different book; how I am positive I have the correct book since it's the right ISBN number, says my university name on the book, and matches the slides she had printed for the class in our previous lesson. She replies back very quickly, which I am impressed with. She asks if I have the right book. Wait didn't I just give her a list of reasons why I had the right book? I explain that I do, she replies back again quickly that the campus bookstore doesn't have the book. I explain to her that I didn't go to the bookstore on campus and described the location and name of the bookstore I did. She replies back with a response from someone who works; suggesting that I return the book and come in to purchase it from them. I'm sorry, but I refuse to return a book that I have opened when it is the right book. I refuse to pay more just to have the same issue.

At this point I've lost all confidence in this professor. Other people taking psych 200 with different professors have the same book as I do. The psych department has the same requirements for all their classes. There is no way I have the wrong book. After much thinking and realizing that I know what is best for me, I go with my gut. I drop the class and see what other psych 200 classes have openings. None that fit my schedule. I decide to go a different route instead. I take an introductory class to my degree instead, this makes more sense for me and is what I wanted to begin with. I have received several other professor recommendations and will add the class next semester. After all I have the right book.

One of the lessons my first week of class taught me is this; to have the confidence to do what is right for my education. To not always listen to others, but go with what I know is right. I am the one earning my degree; not the adviser, not the professor, not my friends or family. I must have control over my education decisions. I can take the advice of others, but I must only take it when I feel it is actually what is needed. These next 6 years, I will have so much advice and opinions coming my way. It will be impossible to go with everything everyone tells me. I have to take out of it what works for me and what I feel will actually help my educational experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment