I've done something that I hope I won't regret, or worse will earn me a bad grade. Every freshman at my university has to take an orientation class their first semester. The point of the class is to help the new students become acclimated to campus life. It's a great idea, in theory. However there are no modifications for students living on campus versus commuters. Nor are there an alternatives for non-traditional students. You know the people who waited a long ass time to go back to school, like your's truly.
Anyway I love my orientation professor, she is one of the professors for the program I am trying to get into; she is the bright light in this somewhat unnecessary class. First off the class requires you to go to two different lectures or watch the videos after and write a paper about the lectures. One lecture is on the risk of alcohol misuse, the other is about money management. Now I'm almost in my 30's, I've been drinking longer than I wish to put in writing and have never blacked out or vomited from alcohol use. I like to think I've got that pretty under control. On the other hand I've owned my own home since I was 20 and run my own business with my husband. I may not be a rich person, but I have a decent idea of budgeting and the importance of saving money. All in all I'm pretty sure I've got this shit. I didn't have time to go to either events, as I had work to do; so I watched the videos. I wasted two hours of my life that I can never get back, all to write a paper so that I would be able to pass the class.
When it came time to write the paper I was to write about the events and what I took away from them. Well I honestly took nothing away from either of them. So now came the decision, do I write this paper honestly or just totally bs it? I choose door number one of course. As I'm writing this paper I write of how I agree that the university does need an orientation class, but write of how there should be more variety for the students, as the needs for traditional fresh out of high school freshmen are not the same of the older non-traditional freshmen. I write of how I honestly wasn't able to take anything from either of the events. Then the part that has me cringing now, I had begun to forget this was an academic paper, I wrote of how one of the speakers seemed to be horribly attempting to imitate Dane Cook. What was I thinking? Now I'm anxiously awaiting the paper to be graded and hoping the whole time my professor who seems to love me won't think I'm the world's biggest asshole.
It won't be that bad, right? Right?!? Oh my gosh I'm going to get an F for eFfing Jerk on that paper. I just know it.
No comments:
Post a Comment