Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Sometimes a Facebook post becomes a blog post....

I had intended this for a Facebook rant; then realized that even though this event occurred yesterday, that I am still perplexed/frustrated over it.....

A classmate (who is retaking this course) sat down and informed me they had not completed the homework. The homework was given to us 5 days ago, and was quite simple. TO READ A FRIGGIN CHAPTER. Just one chapter. Just reading. No outline necessary or questions to accompany the reading. Yet they somehow didn't manage to complete it. I could only grin and say "Really? It wasn't that bad." Inside I had so many other replies in mind. Ranging from the docile, "This is probably why you failed last semester." to the more raging, "Are you kidding me? I worked 45 hours last week, went to school for 18 hours, have a daily hour commute, had two papers to write, completed reading for all 7 of my courses, kept my house somewhat decent, and managed to get a little bit of sleep. This is my life until May. And you who live on campus, are 18 and don't have nearly as much responsibility; couldn't complete your homework?!!?"

Now I realize I don't know this person or what they have going on; however they chose to play on their phone instead of taking notes during the lecture. The professor does not provide notes or slides on Blackboard. Maybe the new norm for attending college should be to grow up a little and get your life together, then make an informed decision. I think 10 years ago that could have been me, almost. I would never be ballsy enough to have my phone out while the professor lectures, that is just plain rude. But I would probably be breezing my way through college, not focusing on my GPA or really even the class work. It's sad for me when I see these kids whose parents can afford to support them through college, just take advantage of what others would bust their butts for. I'm not saying all college students are like this, most who are don't make it past two semesters. But still, they can't appreciate the possibilities they have in front of them. There is no drive, no desire.

Alright end of my rant. I have homework to do!!

No comments:

Post a Comment